Norcia Insurance Consultants - (866) 512-LOSS

What To Do After a Fire, Flood or Other Natural Disaster

After your home has sustained damage because of a fire, floor or some other type of natural disaster, you might feel like you’re being pulled in a million different directions at once. There is so much to do, not to mention the stress of making sure your family is physically okay and safe. So what are some of the things you should do after the worst hits? As insurance consultants in Minnesota, we have a few suggestions on what to do first.

Call the Authorities

If you have any doubt about if your property is safe to enter, call the fire department. They can help check to see if your home’s utilities are safe to use, or the fire department can turn them off if they are not.

Secure Your Home and Belongings

If your home is severely damaged, get some wooden boards and board up your property’s windows and doors. This can help prevent it from sustaining even more damage while also protecting your belongings. If you hire a contractor to do this work for you, be sure to keep the receipt.

Contact Your Insurance Company

Call your insurance company as soon as possible to report the damage or loss. Be sure to ask for a copy of the ACORD claim form so you have proof that the insurance claim was filed. You should also call your mortgage company too and inform them of the damage or loss.

Document, Document, Document

Document all of the losses. Make sure to take photographs and detailed notes. Go room by room, if you can, and don’t forget to take photos and notes about the exterior of your home too. Take close-up shots if need be.

For more information on insurance consultants in Minnesota, call Norcia Insurance Consultants at 866-512-LOSS (5677) or Schedule a Free Consultation.